This recipe is a great one for dinner as well as breakfast. The shiitake mushrooms adds the unique umami Asian flavor to this dish.
Prep and Cook Time: 20 minutes
- 6 cups chopped collard greens
- 1 medium onion, cut in half and sliced thin
- 6 fresh shiitake mushrooms, sliced medium thick, stems removed
- 4 fresh omega-3-rich eggs
- 4 cups water
- 1 TBS apple cider vinegar, or any white wine vinegar
- 1 TBS fresh lemon juice
- 1 TBS minced fresh ginger
- 3 medium cloves garlic pressed
- 1 TBS soy sauce
- 1 TBS extra virgin olive oil
- salt and white pepper to taste
- Slice onions and press garlic and let sit for 5-10 minutes.
- Bring 2" of water to a boil in a steamer pot.
- Rinse greens well. Roll or stack leaves and cut into 1/4" slices and cut again crosswise. Let sit for 5-10 minutes.
- Steam collard greens, mushrooms and onions together for 5 minutes.
- While steaming greens, get ready for poaching eggs by bringing water and vinegar to a fast simmer in a small, shallow pan. You can start on high heat, and once it comes to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer before adding eggs. Make sure there is enough water to cover eggs.
- Mix together lemon juice, ginger, garlic, soy sauce, olive oil, salt, and pepper in a small bowl.
- Poach eggs until desired doneness. This will take about 5 minutes, or just until the white is set and the yolk has filmed over.
- Remove vegetables from steamer and toss with dressing. Remove eggs from water with a slotted spoon and place on plate of tossed greens.
Recipe by WHFoods.com