Prep and Cook Time: 20 minutes
- 4 small whole beets, cut into quarters
- ½ cup plain nonfat yogurt
- 1 TBS dijon mustard
- 3 medium cloves garlic, pressed
- 1 tsp fennel seed
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 TBS ground sunflower seeds
- 2 TBS olive oil
- salt & pepper to taste
- Fill the bottom of a steamer with 2 inches of water.
- While the water is coming to a boil, wash beets, leaving 2 inches of tap root and 1 inch of the stem on the beets. Cut beets into quarters. Do not peel.
- Steam covered for 15 minutes. Beets are cooked when you can easily insert a fork on the tip of a knife into the beet. Although some of their colorful phytonutrients are lost to the steaming water, there is plenty of color and nutrients left in the beets.
- While beets are cooking, press or chop garlic and let sit for 5 minutes to bring out their health-promoting properties.
- After garlic has sat for 5 minutes, put all sauce ingredients except olive oil in blender. While blending drizzle olive oil slowly to emulsify.
- Set beets aside to cool enough to handle.
- Peel, and cut beets into bite size pieces. Toss beets with dressing and serve.
Recipe by WHFoods.org