15 Minute Asian Tuna
Prep and Cook Time: 15 minutes
- 4 6 oz tuna steaks
- 1 TBS fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup minced scallion
- 3 medium cloves garlic, pressed
- 1 TBS minced fresh ginger
- 2 cups thickly sliced fresh shiitake mushrooms (remove stems)
- 1 TBS chicken broth
- 1 cup fresh squeezed orange juice
- 2 TBS soy sauce
- 2 TBS chopped cilantro
- salt and white pepper to taste
- Preheat the broiler on high and place an all stainless steel skillet (be sure the handle is also stainless steel) or cast iron pan about 5 inches from the heat for about 10 minutes to get it very hot.
- Press garlic and let sit for 5 minutes to bring out its health-promoting benefits.
- Rub tuna with lemon juice and season with a little salt and white pepper. Set aside.
- Heat 1 TBS broth in a 10-12 inch stainless steel skillet on the stovetop. Sauté scallion, garlic, ginger, and mushrooms in broth for about 2 minutes, stirring constantly over medium heat.
- Add orange juice and cook for another 2 minutes. Add soy sauce and cilantro.
- Using a hot pad, pull out broiler pan and place tuna in hot pan and return pan to broiler. Keep in mind it is cooking rapidly on both sides, so it is done very quickly, usually in 2-3 minutes, depending on thickness.
- Place tuna on plates and pour mushroom sauce over each piece. Or you can lay a bed of mushroom sauce on each plate and place tuna on top.
Recipe by WHFoods.org