Prep and Cook Time: 20 Minutes
- 3/4 lb halibut cut into 2 pieces
- 1/4 cups light vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup mirin rice wine*
- 3 medium cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 TBS soy sauce
- 1 TBS fresh lemon juice
- 1 TBS minced fresh ginger
- 2 cups fresh shitake mushrooms, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 1 cup coarsely chopped scallion
- salt and white pepper to taste
- *mirin is a sweet Japanese rice wine without the alcohol content; you can find it in many of your local health food stores or in the Japanese section of your local grocery store.
- Chop garlic and let sit for 5 minutes to enhance their health-promoting properties.
- Bring the broth and mirin wine to a simmer on medium-high heat in a 10-inch skillet.
- Add garlic, soy sauce, lemon juice, ginger, scallions, and mushrooms.
- Place halibut steaks on top, reduce heat to low and cover. Cook for about 5 minutes, depending on thickness (5 minutes for every 1/2" of thickness). Season with salt and pepper. Remove steaks and place on a plate. Spoon scallions and mushroom broth over fish and serve.
Recipe from whfoods.org