"We are living in a world today where lemonade is made from artificial flavors and furniture polish is made from real lemons." Alfred E. Newman
10 Great Reasons to eat lemons.
l. Free Radical Fighter-Free radicals are responsible for damaging cells and cellular membranes leading to inflammation, chronic disease and accelerated aging.
2. Immune System Booster-The citric acid, bioflavonoids, vitamin C, calcium, pectin and limonene do a great job of boosting your immune system and keeping infections at bay.
3. Cancer Protection-Lemons contain 22 anti-cancer compounds including limonene - an oil that has been shown to halt the growth of cancer tumors in animals. In addition they also contain flaonol glycosides, which stop the division of cancer cells.
4. pH Balance-Lemons are considered one of the most alkalizing foods you can eat.
5. Oxygen Uptake-Lemons have a purer concentration of negatively charged ions than any other fruit.
6. Fiber-The American Diabetes Association includes lemons on their list of superfoods because of their high fiber content. In addition, the pectin fiber in lemons can help keep you from getting hungry and overeating.
7. Mood and Energy-Just the scent alone of lemons can improve you mood and elevate your energy levels.
8. Digestive Health-Lemon juice helps flush away unwanted materials and toxins left from the digestive process.
9. Clear Skin-Thanks to the vitamin C in lemons, these little citrus fruits can help decrease wrinkles and blemishes.
10. Kidney Stones-When you don't have enough citrate in your urine, you are at an increased risk of developing kidney stones.