The Latest News about Pumpkin Seeds
Pumpkin seeds—also known as pepitas—are flat, dark green seeds. Some are encased in a yellow-white husk (often called the "shell"), although some varieties of pumpkins produce seeds without shells. Pumpkin seeds have a malleable, chewy texture and a subtly sweet, nutty flavor. While roasted pumpkins seeds are probably best known for their role as a perennial Halloween treat, these seeds are so delicious, and nutritious, that they can be enjoyed throughout the year. In many food markets, pepitas are available in all of the forms described above—raw and shelled, raw and unshelled, roasted and shelled, roasted and unshelled.
Cilantro Pesto with Pumpkin Seeds Recipe
Enhance the flavor of chicken or fish with this great tasting pesto that can be prepared in a matter of minutes. Add it to fish tacos with a few avocado slices for a taste treat. Enjoy!
Prep and Cook Time: 10 minutes
· 2 cups chopped fresh cilantro
· 1 cup chopped fresh parsley
· 3 scallion, chopped
· 4 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
· 1 tsp ground cumin
· 2 or 3 canned jalapenos, depending on desired heat
· 1/2 cup coarsely chopped pumpkin seeds
· 2 TBS water
· 1 TBS fresh lemon juice
· 2 TBS extra virgin olive oil
· salt and white pepper to taste
- Chop garlic and let sit for 5 minutes to enhance its health-promoting properties while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- Blend all ingredients in a food processor or blender. Add olive oil a little at a time at end. You want the pesto to be blended yet not smooth. It is best with a little texture. Serve at room temperature. Do not heat it.