Our bodies need fat! It's just like water, if we don't get enough water our body retains water. If we don't get fat, our body retains fat. The key is to chose a healthy fat. Some good choices are avocado, nuts, and seeds. Like everything in our life, moderation is also a key factor because fats per gram are higher in calories (9 calories per gram compared with 4 calories per gram for carbohydrates and protein). The following recipe has some healthy fat and just taste great!
Romaine & Avocado Salad Recipe
This salad is a good healthy start for any meal. It is a quick-and-easy way to add flavor and nutrition to your meal all year round. Enjoy!
Prep and Cook Time: 10 minutes
Ingredients: 1 large head romaine lettuce, outside leaves discarded
1 large tomato, chopped
· 1 small avocado, cut into chunks
2 TBS coarsely chopped walnuts (optional) (14 half nuts=190 Cal./4 grams protein)
· 2 TBS lemon juice
· 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
· Extra virgin olive oil to taste
· Salt and cracked black pepper to taste
- Remove outer leaves of lettuce heads and discard. Cut off tops of leaves and discard as they are bitter.
- Chop remaining inner leaves. Rinse in cold water, and if you have a salad spinner, spin lettuce to dry. If you don't have one, remove as much water as possible in a colander and then dry with paper towels. This will keep the flavor of the salad from getting diluted.
- Whisk together lemon juice, vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper in a small bowl and toss with salad greens. Sprinkle with chopped walnuts if desired.