You'll want to include kale as one of the cruciferous vegetables you eat on a regular basis if you want to receive the fantastic health benefits provided by the cruciferous vegetable family. At a minimum, include cruciferous vegetables as part of your diet 2-3 times per week, and make the serving size at least 1-1/2 cups. Even better from a health standpoint, enjoy kale and other vegetables from the cruciferous vegetable group 4-5 times per week, and increase your serving size to 2 cups.
With this delicious, easy-to-prepare recipe you can include kale as part of your Healthiest Way of Eating in a matter of minutes. Kale is one of the healthiest vegetables around with one serving providing you with an excellent source of health-promoting vitamins A and K. Enjoy!
Prep and Cook Time: 15 minutes
· 1 pound kale, chopped
· Mediterranean Dressing:
· 1 TBS lemon juice
· 1 medium clove garlic, pressed or chopped
· 3 TBS extra virgin olive oil
· salt and black pepper to taste
· sliced onions, steam with kale
· 2 TBS sun dried tomatoes
· 2 TBS sliced olives (kalamata)
· 2TBS feta cheese
· 5 drops soy sauce
- Chop garlic and let it sit for 5 minutes to enhance its health-promoting properties.
- Fill bottom of steamer with 2 inches of water and bring to boil.
- While water is coming to a boil, slice kale leaves into 1/2-inch slices, and cut again crosswise. Cut stems into 1/4-inch slices. Let kale sit for at least 5 minutes to bring out it health-promoting properties.
- When water comes to a boil, add kale (and onion if desired)to the steamer basket and cover. Steam for 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a bowl and toss with Mediterranean Dressing ingredients. Mediterranean Dressing does not have to be made separately. For the best flavor, toss with dressing while kale is still hot.
- Top with any/all of optional ingredients.